What’s your definition of success? How will you know if and when you’re successful? It’s important don’t you agree?
I heard this definition and claimed it several years ago from Earl Nightingale: “Success is the progressive realization of a worthy goal or ideal.”
Recently, John Maxwell shared his and at the same time encouraged us to develop our own definition of success. – His is now the best one I’ve heard and I share it with you and encourage you to use it to personalize and define what success looks like for you.
- Knowing my purpose in life – My purpose is my anchor; this keeps me grounded. It took me years of discovery to figure out what my purpose is. Here are two things that you can work through to help you to discover yours:
- What am I passionate about? – What moves you, what burdens you and what do you dream about? Self awareness is essential. Do you find yourself crying during certain movies? Have you figured why or what it is that moves you? – that is a good indicator.
- What am I good at? – Another great indicator is your area of gifts, talents and strengths. You were given these so that you could live out your purpose. Coming to an understanding of what you’re passionate about and good at will help you to discover your purpose.
- Growing to my maximum potential – Grow in the area of your purpose. – Success is the progressive realization… Once you discover your purpose then you need to intentionally grow in the area you want to go. Let your purpose determine the areas of growth that you pursue. And do all you can to develop yourself in this area.
- Sowing seeds that benefit others – Sow into the lives of others – things that will add value to them. Don’t worry about the return; just sow the seeds. Our natural tendency is to focus on the results. The more I focus on adding value to others the greater value I add and as I add greater value to more people the results will come. But let my focus be on the adding value and the sowing of seeds.
- Do you know your purpose?
- Are you growing in your purpose area?
- Are you adding value to people everyday?
If your answer is yes, yes and yes then congratulations; you are successful.