Outside of my faith, the decision to grow has impacted my life more than any other. – John C. Maxwell
People are anxious to improve their circumstances but are unwilling to improve themselves; they therefore remain bound. – James Allen
I wish I could get you to STOP and reconsider the two statements above. Put aside your distractions for a moment and read the statements again, this time read them slowly and out loud and take a few moments to contemplate the application and ramifications to your life…
I believe in you! I really do! You have unlimited potential. That’s your birthright. At the least, can we agree that you have greater capacity than you are using right now?
I was at a conference the other day and the speaker asked the audience to stand and raise their hands as high as they could and after a few seconds he asked us to raise them a little higher and everybody raised their hands higher. What is that? Why do we hold back?
You have the capacity to accomplish your purpose, dreams and goals.
But just like the illustration above with the hands, you have to figure out how to become the person capable of accomplishing your dreams. And this doesn’t just happen. You have to make it happen. Personal development or personal growth is about growing in the areas that you want to become better.
Here are six things you should do to make it happen:
- Acknowledge your need to grow. The only guarantee that tomorrow will get better is growing today. In order to get different results you have to be and do something different.
- Become intentional about your growth. If you don’t make the time you will not have the time. If you don’t devote the time you will not get better. Most people get busy doing and don’t take the time to get better and therefore remain stuck.
- Formulate a growth plan. Just like you map out the course when you’re driving somewhere. You need to plan for how, when and in what areas you are going to grow.
- Recruit an accountability partner. Perhaps a mentor or somebody who joins you on the journey so that you can hold each other accountable.
- Get comfortable with being uncomfortable. It’s not going to be easy. You will have to stretch and step out of the comfort zone. Make the decision and the commitment to do the hard work.
- Begin today. Do it now.
Growth’s highest reward is not what you get but what you become.